Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Zen Yoga


Zen Yoga Studios, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

One of the quickest ways for me to start feeling more alive is by facing my fears and taking on new challenges. I had always wanted to experience yoga but could never work up the courage to go to a class. What if I'm not in good enough shape and I can't do some of the poses? Is wearing spandex a requirement? I don't practice Buddhism and I feel a little uncomfortable with the "uhmms" at the end of a class. 

I finally starting facing my fears and enrolled in a yoga class. At the beginning, I learned the basic poses and stretches and how to incorporate mindful breathing for a deeper, more holistic experience. After my first two classes, I became more flexible, developed better balance, and began running farther and faster.

My overall physical performance is improving by leaps and bounds each time I practice. I now recognize the little voice that had once kept me from testing the boundaries of my comfort zone. Most importantly, I am mastering how to silence that insecure voice.

I learned especially how to put things into perspective. While I was the beginner yogi back then, I see new people come into that position at every class. They learn, they practice and they grow. I know the strength it takes to come to an unfamiliar place and do something you don't quite understand in a room full of strangers, and I know how happy they're going to be that they did it.

I am so thankful to the owners of Zen Yoga in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua for putting together such a beautiful studio with such a warm, inviting and passionate staff. Six months ago, after ten years of battling a heavy addiction problem, I found myself in this little beach town in southwestern Nicaragua in search of sobriety, long-lost physical fitness and general peace of mind. Yoga, like running, becomes a lifestyle.

Thank you to the passionate team of people who have made each of my visits to Zen Yoga a new learning experience in my life. My time with you guys has assisted me in finding my peace, joy and inner strength.

Life is a joy once you learn to breathe through the uncomfortable moments. Find out for yourself. Go sign up for a yoga class today. Some studios offer your first session free! For a "homemade" twist, follow along to your favorite yoga practice on YouTube. Below is a video that I like to practice along with, for free, at home.


Dave Trent


View Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment