Monday, September 16, 2013

Running Gets Your Dog High Too?!?



Apparently pooches can attain the ever-sought-after “runner’s high.” Dogs, much like their human counterparts, can feel a natural high that resembles the high of marijuana. 

Running increases the levels of endocannabinoids in the blood. These chemicals, which also are found in marijuana, provide the dog with a euphoric feeling. WHO KNEW? For more on Fido and the “runner’s high,” check out this article.

I don’t know about you, but I do know that I love taking a pooch with me when I run….most of the time. There are times when the little monsters can be a tornado weaving back and forth, in front of and behind me, leaving me to play jump rope with the leash and destroying my speed. Still I love dogs and must take them for runs with me.

When we first started running, my dog Sonny was running two or three miles a day with me. As we started to tack on more mileage, I began to worry about the toll it would have on her: Is she too hot? Does she need water? Did that glass we just ran over cut her little paws? Is the pavement too hot for her?

I was a newish dog owner back then, and I didn't know much about taking my pup for runs. I decided to see what the “experts” had to say. There was quite a bit of useful information out there. 

Doggie Physical:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take Fido to the Doggie Doctor before you take him for a run! If Fido is a puppy, his bones may need some time to fully develop before he can join in the fun. On the other side, if you have an older Fido, get him checked out to see if he is run-ready. In any case, get your dog examined first!

Breed Limitations:
Make sure to know about Fido’s breed. Certain breeds are just not distance runners; they’re sprinters. Take my dog, for example: Sonny is a border collie, a true distance runner. But even border collies have their limitations. In the cooler temps of fall or spring, Sonny can run four miles with ease. In hot, humid temperatures, sometimes by mile 2 I’m dragging my hot and panting pooch to some shade and water
. Do your research first and consider the limitations and special needs of the breed.

Coat Color:

A Fido who is at the darker end of the color spectrum will retain heat more than their lighter-colored counterparts. Be cognizant of this and have water available during the run, especially if it is going to last more than 45 minutes in the heat. 

Humans are able to sweat and cool their bodies. All dogs can do is pant and utilize the sweat glands at the bottoms of their feet. If you're out with Fido in the hot summer sun, simply carry a squirt bottle. There is no excuse to not have water when your best friend needs it most.

Your Dog Is High As Hell!
Since your little Fido is going to be as high as a kite, he won’t know what in the heck is going on. If you are having a hard time controlling a blitzed-out Fido, then shorten the leash on that darting daredevil and dance a little closer.  

While on a run, make sure Fido stays aware of you and you of him; we don’t want any injuries in this blissfully symbiotic relationship. 

On the loosey-goosey:
I love to run in places where Fido can explore and be free! There is something about running leash-less with the pack that seems to keep the buzz from fading.  


Communication:
Fido can speak in many nonhuman ways: barking, whining, grunts, etc. Unfortunately, humans don’t always speak or understand dog language very well. 


Please pay attention to Fido’s body language. If he is limping, foaming at the mouth, slowing down or getting glassy-eyed, Fido is working way too hard. Cut your poor little buddy a break. Remember he’s high! 

Fido can have a blast on runs, but he needs structure, routine and guidance. Remember: you're the pack leader. If you're always mindful and don't hesitate to give Fido a cool-down or even cut the run short when he's struggling, then you'll have a red-eyed running partner for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment