Thursday, September 12, 2013

Homemade Massage Therapy




I tried every technique and stretch to alleviate the aches and pains in my knees and back that I experienced after long runs. I couldn't get it to fade until I found "foam rolling." If I'm not using my  foam roller, then I'm probably harboring soreness and stiffness in your body that could otherwise be removed in a matter of moments.

"Foam rolling" is a form of self-myofascial release (SMR) that targets tense and overstressed muscles, providing similar benefits to those received during a deep tissue massage. With the pressure created by my own body weight, I can use a foam roller on all parts of my body to release the muscle knots that  caused my tightness and soreness.

I use every chance I get to make my own homemade physical training tools and a foam roller is no exception. Foam rollers vary in firmness, come in all sizes and retail in stores from $10 up to $50. Of course, I don't spend these exorbitant prices on training tools when I can make them myself. I spent less than 10 minutes and used household supplies to make my own. Foam is not necessary; I used sand. If you don't have sand, use rice.



You don't need a video for this homemade foam roller; it's easy. All you need is a plastic 2-liter bottle, sand, electrical or duct tape, and an old shirt or towel. Fill the plastic bottle with sand until the desired firmness is reached and put the cap on.

Wrap the fabric around the bottle, leaving access to the opening This way, you can adjust the firmness simply by adding or removing sand. Tape the shirt or towel down securely at the top and bottom. That's all! Now go get some relief with your free, homemade foam roller.

Dave Trent

Here is an instructional video where Scott Herman shows you how to use your new foam roller!

After watching this video, I mastered the techniques easily.





No comments:

Post a Comment