Sunday, September 8, 2013

Taking Time To Feed My Soul



Six months ago I found myself asking the questions: How can I find a way to relax and enjoy my life again? Where has my passion gone? How do I live a soul-guided life with more purpose and meaning?
  
My over-all "daily grind" and means of existence had my soul screaming for simplicity.  With things in my life becoming busier, more expensive and more complicated daily, I neglected to take the time to feed my soul. In return, my good health, sanity, joy and purpose in life soon all became a distant memory. Simplifying my life down to its basics has led me on the fast track to a soul-guided and joy-filled lifestyle. 

In the last six months I quit my job and sold everything I owned other than a travel backpack with the basics--clothes ,toothbrush, running shoes--and moved to Nicaragua from the United States. I changed my diet completely and quit drinking after 10 years of being an alcoholic.  I have no cell phone or computer except through outside resources. I stopped watching and reading the news. I left everyone and everything I had known or had become accustomed to  in search of my true spiritual self. 

This journey has led me down a path of insight that has revealed my true identity--not one based on monetary goals but rather on spiritual goals or a way to follow a soul-guided life. In the process, I've learned to live life with relative ease where before I struggled at every turn. I've learned to cope with everyday stresses and have built beautiful, long-lasting relationships with the people around me.

An excess 50 pounds has melted from my body, and I have more energy to experience my life and the adventures it holds. I now do yoga regularly and have become an avid runner. My overall sanity, happiness and soul-guided purpose have come alive naturally as I have simplified my way of life and taken the time to reconnect with what's necessary and not with those things that are arbitrary. I have come alive again!

As I share a few areas in my life where I have benefited most by simplifying, I encourage you to take a good look at your own life and ask yourself where you can do the same. What  habits, choices and beliefs guide your investment of time and energy? Are there ways to let go of the beliefs and try to make friends once again with the basics?

If nothing else, stay open-minded to new possibilities and try some of them out on your own. Make one small change at a time or all at once but stick with your program. I assure you that the rewards will be significant!

Dave Trent 

No comments:

Post a Comment