Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Homemade Huarache Running Sandals




The Tarahumara Indians run hundreds of miles through the Copper Canyons of the Sierra Madres wearing these fancy sandals?!?

Born To Run, the book that inspired me to become a long-distance runner, describes the epic runs of this Mexican tribe in huaraches. However, I have to admit I was a little skeptical at first about making my own sandals and running comfortably for any real distance. 

Fifteen minutes into the test run and my running partner Bob turns to tell me what a drastic difference he sees in my posture, smooth stride and a plastered-on smile. Every time I run with these I'm instantly filled with a playful spirit that doesn't fade under the persistent patter of countless miles. 

The thing to remember when you transition into running sandals or minimalist shoes is the transition period. This type of footwear is called 'zero-drop' because there is no height difference between the toe and the heel. I did experience some soreness in my calves and thighs for the first few weeks; this soreness results from the full extension of the leg muscles. 

I made the transition slowly, embracing the pain and trusting in what everyone is finally waking up to: minimalist footwear gives a more natural running experience, closer to that of the Tarahoomara Indians.  

The payoff and pleasure I've found in minimalist running have been well worth the pain of transition. I like the comfort of my whole foot being enclosed in a minimalist shoe (New Balance MT110a lot of the time , but I love to rotate these homemade sandals into my weekly running cycle whenever I feel like having some fun.

Dave Trent


Watch Videos

Here's how to make them:


Supplies: 1/4"Nylon Twine & any old rubber
(even carpet scraps or old floor mats work)

DON'T OVERTHINK THESE...JUST 
MAKE A PAIR AND RUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment